Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On the road

After navigating several airports, a few train stations and several other modes of transport, I've finally arrived! I learned to navigate the french keyboard system while in Morocco, and it's proven to be a challenge yet again as I learn to type over again. I discovered a charming bakery near the hotel that makes gourmet macaroons, and have devoured far too many of the sweets. So far my favourite is proving to be the salted caramel, but the pistachio is also fantastic.

I managed to navigate the french train system to get to Vimy Ridge yesterday. Vimy is the site of one of the largest Canadian First World War monuments. The farmland that surrounds the monument is so lush and green that it was hard to imagine the fighting that occurred almost a hundred years ago. Surrounding the monument were the soldiers cemetaries - not only for Canadian troups, but also for British and Japonese soldiers.

2 comments:

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

I'm so far behind on my blog reading that I didn't know you were on vacation!

The bakery sounds yummy - I have a weakness for bakeries :)

Kathy A. said...

Pictures please pictures. I would love to see a photo of Vimy Ridge!
Have a wonderful vacation. It sounds awesome!