Thursday, January 18, 2007

New Beadie Happy Dance

I got home late tonight from a professional society dinner, so I'm not that inspired to write tonight. I do have some new beads to share, so I thought I'd add those to the blog. I got a new glass press a couple of weeks ago, and these beads are the results of my trials. I actually got two - this round one and a square shape that I haven't had a chance to try out yet. Glass presses are a bit tricky to use, as you have to figure out how much glass needs to be in the bead before you smush it. Too much glass will leak out the sides, and too little results in a bead that isn't shaped properly. You then have to figure out how much glass to add at each stage of the bead to end up with that much glass at the end. These beads are tricky - it's a green base, with some glass bits added, covered in clear, dotted in white, dotted in blue and then purple and then smushed. It's not an exact science, but I think these ones came out nice in the end.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous, Karin. The green and purple play well together :)

Anonymous said...

What pretty beads. So sparkly.

Christine S said...

Those look fabulous! I love them!

Maree said...

Beautiful _ I love the colour combination :)

Anonymous said...

Really nice job Karin!

Juls said...

I love them! They are so pretty!

Trixie said...

They're awful pretty Karin.

I went to a glass shop today for their bi-annual sale (all is 50% off) and I gotta say I am SO glad you aren't as pretentious as almost everyone I met there (the ones that deigned to talk to me that is). It was pretty amusing. I went with a stained-glass making friend. My Lord it was nuts.

... "what do you mean they don't have beluga for everyone this year?"
... "red with lamb? How undignified. How can they even think of putting this in public?"

That kind of stuff. I found it hilarious. :o)