Saturday, December 30, 2006

A New Years Meme

It's almost the end of 2006, and although I'm not sure how it's possible that a whole year has gone by, I thought I'd post a new year meme:

What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Visited Morocco & Mexico
Slept in the Sahara
Went on a large cruise ship
Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't usually make resolutions - I think I've already started by 2007 one.
Did anyone close to you give birth?

My friend Karen did - a big welcome to your life to Tasha too...
Did anyone close to you die?
No
What countries did you visit?
The United States, Mexico, England(in transit) and Morocco
What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
More time to travel and a travelling companion
What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory?
I don't really know if there is one - March 17th and November 10th were the days that I left on vacation, so I don't really know if they count
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Staying in a job for the whole year - last year I had 3 - one until the end of January, one between February and November and a third between November and the end of the year. This year, there's only one, and I really like it
What was your biggest failure?
I don't know if I really had one - 2006 wasn't a year of real highs and lows. It was kind of steady.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had some doozy's of colds. Nasty, nasty things
What was the best thing you bought?
I bought some lovely dishes that I'm so happy with, and an MP3 player, so I can join the rest of the world and a new laptop
Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Oprah, Bono
Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Belinda Stronich,
Where did most of your money go?
The mortgage (sadly), exercise, travel.
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The wedding of two good friends, hockey
What song/album will always remind you of 2006?
Hips Don't Lie - Shakira
Compared to this time last year, are you:
  • happier or sadder? happier, I think
  • thinner or fatter? thinner (yeah!)
  • richer or poorer? richer, I think. And not just in the monetary sense.

What do you wish you’d done more of?
Laugh, travel, enjoy good friends
What do you wish you’d done less of?
Stress, worry, fret
How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas with family, chilling out
Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
The girls out east
Did you fall in love in 2006?
No
How many one night stands in this last year?
None - perhaps that's a good thing
What was your favourite TV programme?
Grey's Anatomy
Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I think hate is a strong word, but there is someone I don't like as much as last year
What was the best book(s) you read?
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
What was your greatest musical discovery?
The MP3 player - I'm so behind in the times
What did you want and get?
New dishes, a big trip somewhere
What did you want and not get?
a promotion
What were your favourite films of this year?
I don't think 2006 was an amazing year for films, but Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and Harry Potter 4 were on the list
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 32, and I spent my birthday in Toronto on a business trip
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery!
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
It involved a lot of black, and was kind of yuppie chic
What kept you sane?
Lampworking, stitching, red wine, good friends.
Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Patrick Dempsey (Grey's Anatomy)
What political issue stirred you the most?
Kyoto / greenhouse gasses - probably because it's so close to home. Everyone wants something done about it, but no one wants to actually pay for it.
Who did you miss?
All of my grandparents and my babysitter
Who was the best new person you met?
My 11 co-travellers in Morocco. They were (and are) some of the smartest, most interesting people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. And they made a good trip that much more memorable.
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
I learned that chasing after someone else's idea of perfect or good doesn't get you anywhere.
Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
" Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why.
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time."
(Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of your life))

No comments: