Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sigh - Another LNS Gone...

I stopped by my local cross-stitch shop to learn that they were closing at the end of the day for good. They were the last shop left in town, although there is a mail-order store that ships out of the city, as well as another shop in the next small town up the road. I'm not that surprised, as every time I went in, their inventory looked dated, and they didn't really have many classes and projects to keep people coming in.

Still, I will miss having a LNS nearby. It was nice to pick up one or two things, and know that if I ran out of something, I could get it reasonably quickly. Or, like my errand today, be able to pick up a few things to match what I have already in my stash. And it's sad to think that this will be the 6th shop closing that I can think of in the city - maybe we just can't support a LNS after all.

So - goodbye to the local needlework shop - I guess it's online shopping only from now on.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Sad news. I know how you feel. I lost my local shop a few years back...

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

The LNS I worked for part time a number of years ago closed down, because she wasn't doing enough business. In her case, I wasn't surprised, though - she didn't make the effort to keep the inventory up to date, etc.

I much prefer to doing my stash shopping in-store, but the nearest one to me is over 20 miles away, and it's just not that convenient to get to, so I do my shopping online. But, the store is a real brick & mortar store (it used to be my LNS when I lived in Indiana), so I feel like I'm doing my part to keep at least one LNS in business.